24 February 2011

I Hate Monday Holidays


The rest of the week I am never sure what day of the week it is. Mostly I hate not getting mail. I still do a lot of business by mail and and a day without mail sucks.

This Monday, there was no mail, it was cold and rainy and I am sure that I have seen every NCIS ever filmed.

Then, in a bit of lovely kismet, I saw that AMC in their salute to Oscar was showing Breakfast at Tiffany's in the very middle of an otherwise dreary (no, especially dreary and mailless) Monday.

I felt a certain kismet because just the day before I had finally gotten a copy of Sam Wasson's Fifth Avenue, 5 A. M. While this book sold many copies, it got quite a bit of criticism. Why? Well my theory is the subtitle: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast At Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman. Well if you put it like that! The rather scholarly subtitle made many a reader think it was a pedantic film criticism. Many a feminist reader thought it was a treatise on well, the ""Modern Woman" and it isn't.


What is it? A slightly bitchy look at the making of Breakfast at Tiffany's including not only Hepburn but Mel Ferrer, Truman Capote, Babe Paley, Carol Marcus, Edith Head, Givenchy, Patricia Neal, Roald Dahl, Marilyn Monroe, and a cat, to name a few. No one loves a big old scholarly tome more than I, but despite the lofty subtitle, this is just a sweetly bitchy little behind-the-scenes look at making of the movie.



So I was especially inspired to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's on Monday with a whole new criteria of bitchy fun. But I still have no idea what day it is.

2 comments:

  1. Had to request that book from the library -- it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That movie was incredible ! I never seen something like this before!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin